Bear with me. I think I broke a personal record for number of photos in one post. Our GreenDay kind of turned into GreenWeek. We celebrated with all things green, gold, and rainbow.
The kids embroidered rainbows. I'm glad the boys still find crafts with mom fun. And wow...4 is really good with a needle and thread. She wants to learn to sew.
4 is in a book club with some other 4 & 5's from our homeschool group. They meet once a month. Since not all of the little ones are reading...the mom's each take a turn bringing a book to read, craft to do, and snack to eat. A. is Irish and loved sharing some of her St. Paddy's traditions with the girls. After the story they hunted through the house for magical leprechaun beans. The leprechaun left the seeds for them to find. On the 17th, the seeds were to be planted and at sunset they would find a treat.
The boys helped 4 with the planting. 7 watered each seed.
8 decided to make plant stakes for each of the seeds.
A's seeds grow lollipops, but we were short on candy here. Our magic seeds grew golden dollar coins.
The kids strung rainbow necklaces with Fruit Loops. This is such a treat as we normally eat Kashi cereal or others with very low sugar. My only stipulation was that they use a pattern while they were stringing. I like how 8 mirrored his pattern.
We had an Irish dinner with G. We'd discovered that 8 no longer has green shirts. He's more into blue these days. His one green shirt was a polo...so they decided dinner needed to be fancy. 4 picked out a dress. I pulled down my chargers...they're gold.
G. prepared a corned beef and baked a loaf of Irish Soda bread (his family recipe).
I steamed carrots, fried cabbage, and M. put the potatoes on the BBQ. We didn't want to heat up the house...it was 92 in So. Cal. Maybe not completely traditional, but it was so Yum! and lots of fun.
For dessert, we enjoyed a pot of gold. Lemon pound cake, Lemon Curd, and fresh whipped cream.
4 comments:
how lovely ==what a memorable celebration you gave your children and yourself!!!
Bravo! What a lovely day, what beautiful children you have, what great food... superlatives all around. Thank you for sharing a glimpse with us.
I have an award for you! http://www.jdaniel4smom.com/2010/03/awards-spring-up-from-everywhere.html
Fruit Loops is a rare treat at our house, too. I only buy it when the 1/3-less sugar variety is on sale for $2/box. That doesn't happen very often. Too bad! *grin*
And the thought of NOT wanting to heat up your house sounds so nice to me. Even though it IS - technically - warming up here, I have been so cold lately. 92 degrees sounds heavenly! *Ahhhh*
Enjoyed this St. Patrick's Day memory with you!
Post a Comment